>

:: love ::

"but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. against such things there is no law." galatians5//22-23
Sunday, February 12, 2006
hoffen

hoffen :: to hope

“God said, “And who do you think made the human mouth? And who makes some mute, some deaf, some sighted, some blind? Isn’t it I, GOD? So, get going. I’ll be right there with you – with your mouth! I’ll be right there to teach you what to say.”
~ Exodus 4:11-12

“The LORD will fight for you; you need only to be still."
~ Exodus 14:14

“So let God work his will in you. Yell a loud no to the Devil and watch him scamper. Say a quiet yes to God and he’ll be there in no time. Quit dabbling in sin. Purify your inner life. Quit playing the field. Hit bottom, and cry your eyes out. The fun and games are over. Get serious, really serious. Get down on your knees before the Master; it’s the only way you’ll get on your feet.”
~ James 4:7-10

“Let the Word of Christ--the Message--have the run of the house. Give it plenty of room in your lives. Instruct and direct one another using good common sense. And sing, sing your hearts out to God! Let every detail in your lives--words, actions, whatever--be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way.”
~ Colossians 3:16-17

“But now you have arrived at your destination: By faith in Christ you are in direct relationship with God. Your baptism in Christ was not just washing you up for a fresh start. It also involved dressing you in an adult faith wardrobe--Christ's life, the fulfillment of God's original promise.”
~ Galatians 3:25-27

“Then he was told, "Go, stand on the mountain at attention before GOD. GOD will pass by." A hurricane wind ripped through the mountains and shattered the rocks before GOD, but GOD wasn't to be found in the wind; after the wind an earthquake, but GOD wasn't in the earthquake; and after the earthquake fire, but GOD wasn't in the fire; and after the fire a gentle and quiet whisper.”
~ 1 Kings 19:11-12

“Don't think that just because you live in the king's house you're the one Jew who will get out of this alive. If you persist in staying silent at a time like this, help and deliverance will arrive for the Jews from someplace else; but you and your family will be wiped out. Who knows? Maybe you were made queen for just such a time as this.”
~ Esther 4:13-14

“Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God.”
~ Psalm 42:11

“Wait passionately for GOD, don't leave the path. He'll give you your place in the sun”
~ Psalm 37:34

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.”
~ Matthew 11:28

“I've found the recipe for being happy whether full or hungry, hands full or hands empty. Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am. I don't mean that your help didn't mean a lot to me--it did. It was a beautiful thing that you came alongside me in my troubles.”
~ Philippians 4:12-14

“You never saw him, yet you love him. You still don't see him, yet you trust him--with laughter and singing. Because you kept on believing, you'll get what you're looking forward to: total salvation.”
~ 1 Peter 1:8-9

“May Jesus himself and God our Father, who reached out in love and surprised you with gifts of unending help and confidence, put a fresh heart in you, invigorate your work, enliven your speech.”
~ 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

“ Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant--dog dung.”
~ Philippians 3:8
I want you to think about how all this makes you more significant, not less. A body isn't just a single part blown up into something huge. It's all the different-but-similar parts arranged and functioning together. If Foot said, "I'm not elegant like Hand, embellished with rings; I guess I don't belong to this body," would that make it so? If Ear said, "I'm not beautiful like Eye, limpid and expressive; I don't deserve a place on the head," would you want to remove it from the body? If the body was all eye, how could it hear? If all ear, how could it smell? As it is, we see that God has carefully placed each part of the body right where he wanted it.

But I also want you to think about how this keeps your significance from getting blown up into self-importance. For no matter how significant you are, it is only because of what you are a part of. An enormous eye or a gigantic hand wouldn't be a body, but a monster. What we have is one body with many parts, each its proper size and in its proper place. No part is important on its own. Can you imagine Eye telling Hand, "Get lost; I don't need you"? Or, Head telling Foot, "You're fired; your job has been phased out"? As a matter of fact, in practice it works the other way--the "lower" the part, the more basic, and therefore necessary. You can live without an eye, for instance, but not without a stomach. When it's a part of your own body you are concerned with, it makes no difference whether the part is visible or clothed, higher or lower. You give it dignity and honour just as it is, without comparisons. If anything, you have more concern for the lower parts than the higher. If you had to choose, wouldn't you prefer good digestion to full-bodied hair?

The way God designed our bodies is a model for understanding our lives together as a church: every part dependent on every other part, the parts we mention and the parts we don't, the parts we see and the parts we don't. If one part hurts, every other part is involved in the hurt, and in the healing. If one part flourishes, every other part enters into the exuberance.

You are Christ's body--that's who you are! You must never forget this. Only as you accept your part of that body does your "part" mean anything.

~ 1 Corinthians 12:14-27

If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love.

Love never gives up. Love cares more for others than for self. Love doesn't want what it doesn't have. Love doesn't strut, doesn't have a swelled head, doesn't force itself on others, isn't always "me first," doesn't fly off the handle, doesn't keep score of the sins of others, doesn't revel when others grovel, takes pleasure in the flowering of truth, puts up with anything, trusts God always, always looks for the best, never looks back, but keeps going to the end.

Love never dies. Inspired speech will be over some day; praying in tongues will end; understanding will reach its limit. We know only a portion of the truth, and what we say about God is always incomplete. But when the Complete arrives, our incompletes will be cancelled.

When I was an infant at my mother's breast, I gurgled and cooed like any infant. When I grew up, I left those infant ways for good. We don't yet see things clearly. We're squinting in a fog, peering through a mist. But it won't be long before the weather clears and the sun shines bright! We'll see it all then, see it all as clearly as God sees us, knowing him directly just as he knows us!

But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.

~ 1 Corinthians 13

posted by vonbon @ 11:17 pm  
4 Comments:
  • At 13/2/06 10:04, Blogger ling said…

    hrm, what version of the bible do you have? Sounds suspiciously like the message... but I'm not sure, it's an interesting version nonetheless.

     
  • At 13/2/06 16:19, Blogger vonbon said…

    you read it all?! wow... yep.. the message. except for one verse where i couldn't let go of the NIV...

     
  • At 13/2/06 22:26, Blogger TK said…

    It seems like the service last sunday....or a sunday....hmmmm....ah well....if oyu could remeber all that that would be aweomse!!!!.....

     
  • At 14/2/06 16:05, Blogger vonbon said…

    wasn't there. :(

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

© 2006 :: love :: | Blogger Templates by Gecko & Fly.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without permission.

Yvonne a.k.a. Von, Mum, Che [姐](Dot), Dada[大大] (Dan), Vonnie, Yv (Ling), Vonnles (which is how Trudy spells it), Vonnals (which is how Jasmine spells it), Von Bon (Ann), Bon Bon (my grandma), Mommy (Nick, who is not very subtle with his hinting), ィヴォン, ボンボンちゃん

O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, in your name I will lift up my hands psalm63.1-4

:: brown hair :: brown eyes :: asian skin :: asian eyes :: asian glasses :: short :: short :: short :: shy :: paranoid :: noisy :: bouncy when i want to be :: gullible :: procrastinator :: perfectionist :: maker-of-dodgy-cookies :: writer-of-dodgy-songs :: dodgy-singer-of-good-songs :: eater-of-almost-everything :: reader-of-almost-everything :: writer-of-almost-nothing :: daughter :: big sister :: little sister :: mum :: friend :: doll ::


le futur
:: saturday the 11th ::
5pm.choir
7pm.yf

:: sunday the 12th ::
joyce's birthday
9am.church
11.30am.joyce's birthday lunch
3pm.lulu's choir recital

:: monday the 13th ::
3pm.working

:: wednesday the 15th ::
6pm.work meeting

:: thursday the 16th ::
linguistics transcription assignment due.

:: friday the 17th ::
french writing exercice #2 due.
international ball.
40h famine.

:: saturday the 18th ::
40h famine.

les langues
la lecture
bavarder



les copains
je vous promis
  • Spend a considerable amount of time with God every day
  • No swearing
  • Exercise at least 3 times a week
  • Von-time for reflection every month -- analyse how I react to things and people, how close I'm getting to people, etc.
  • No lying
  • Be more joyful and caring
  • Be less selfish
  • Be more subtle
  • Be more conscientious with money
  • Get a job
  • Keep said job
  • Keep in touch with grammar girls
  • Join a gym
  • Speak Canto with Lynn
  • Speak French with Nay
  • Don't lose my languages
  • Save up money to visit Rach in America
  • Keep up piano
  • Spend less time on the internet
  • Coffee with Meera and Lynn once a month if Meera's in Canberra
  • Looooong walks with Lynn
  • Be sensible -- set boundaries and don’t break them
  • Be a better daughter
  • Keep in touch with (and visit) Mutsumi
  • Start reading again
  • Finish Emma and Mansfield Park
  • Read a Shakespeare play
  • Journal more frequently
  • Consider keeping a written journal
  • Don't depend so much on other people
  • Make time for Lynn, Meera and Nay
  • Keep in touch with Grammar people -- esp. Lulu and Claire
  • Weekly/monthly Grammar coffees
l'imparfait
the ghost of christmas past...
grâce à ...

make money online blogger templates